Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Few Mascot Drawings

Sluggo - Eugene Emeralds

Over the past few weeks--to keep up my illustration chops--I've been doing some mascot drawings of from different sports that I thought provided some different challenges. With baseball in full swing and hockey in playoff mode, I've concentrated on those tow sports.
The biggest challenge was the image at the top. Cool Ray is the mascot for the South Carolina Stingrays, the Caps affiliate in the ECHL. The challenge? He's a stingray on skates. It's not exactly a mascot you see everyday, so I wanted to go at trying to get him in action and I think I captured it well.
Stormy is the mascot of the Carolina Hurricanes. Once again, it's an "ice hog" on skates, which I just wanted to try and capture. I spent quite a while working on that drawing, but I think it did a great job of capturing that "family fun" atmosphere that a mascot brings to a team.

Last but not least is Sluggo, of the Eugene Emeralds. I decided to draw him because he looked like the bear brother of the Philly Phanatic, who happens to be my favorite mascot ever. I mean, he's a lime green bear. What's not cool about that? All in all, each mascot was a lot of fun to draw, and I hope to be posting some more drawings in the future.

(Disclaimer: Representations of team logos appearing on uniforms are there to capture the mascot as close as he/she appears in real life and I'm not claiming those logos as my work. All credit goes to the designers who have created them.)



No comments:

Post a Comment