Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sports Design: Why I Love What I Do

To many people, this photo would be just another sports photo. Just some fans, just some players, and just some posters.

However, this picture is a lot more for me. It's why I love designing for sports.

The poster in this picture is the schedule poster I designed for UT-Chattanooga's 2012 football season, and it's becoming a memory for each person that is getting one signed by all the Mocs players. It's a time capsule of that season, that event, and that day.

I stumbled across this photo while putting together the covers for UTC's 2013 Football Media Guides (a work in progress that will be up on this blog down the road). I paused for a moment, and after taking in the whole photo, I cracked a small smile. I imagined the whole scene taking place, from the kid getting his poster signed to the player in the middle of the photo (#9) talking to another fan. So many interactions just like these occurred at this event where my poster was one of the focal points. That was a powerful feeling for me. Even from far away, I was an integral part of this day, of bringing this fan base out to connect with their team.

The greatest joy I get from each design I create for any team I work for is the fact that each one, whether it be a poster, ticket, billboard, or anything else, could become a memory for their fans. It could even be some young fan's first memory about a team. That thought drives me to make sure each design I make is my absolute best. As Joe DiMaggio said: "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."

I owe each project I receive my best. Each one comes with its own set of challenges and problems to solve, but they all have the chance of creating a moment like the one pictured above. That chance is enough to keep me pushing to become a better designer with each piece. Here's to every project that comes my way and every memory I can help create.


No comments:

Post a Comment