Friday, August 27, 2010

The State of the Union, Post 1

Media I like to work in:
Pencil, Ink, Digital (Both Coloring and Inking) and scratchboard the one time I tried it


Media I hate working in:
Acrylics because I can never get the exact colors I want, and textures are hard for me to achieve. I also do not like working in ink wash. I can just never get the values to flow seamlessly into each other.


Media I would like to try:
I think I’d have to go out on a limb and say I’d love to try a 3-D illustration. I had an idea to do a papercraft one that never came to fruition over the summer, but I’d love to try something with models and such and then photograph it to become my illustration. I just think some really cool stuff could come from it.


Three non-Illustration classes that have influenced me postively:
1. 2-D Design. I know it’s a class from a time that seems long ago now, but that was my first taste of really digging into how to layout a powerful composition. My professor Elvis pushed me all semester long to get better and go bolder, and it paid off. The concepts I learned in that class have been paying dividends ever since in hundreds and hundreds of thumbnails all the way to final compositions
2. Sound Acquisition and Editing. You’re probably wondering what sound has to do with drawing. Well, I was the illustrator with a side hobby of writing music that snuck into a class more geared towards animators. Therefore, as a bonus, I got to see a lot of animations while in that class and picked up on a lot of their styles of work. This drove me to try and be a little more stylistic and graphical with my work.
3. Intro to Computer Graphics. It was my first taste of the digital art world and I absolutely fell in love with Photoshop and Illustrator in this class. It allowed me to stumble out of the starting blocks and then catch my balance in Design Systems 1 & 2 before really starting to hone in my skills today.


Influence of my peers:
I think the biggest influence my peers have had on me is to push me to get really good at digital work. I saw what everyone in my class was doing digitally and I just wanted to do it. I wanted to know “How do you make that texture do that?” and “What brush do you use to make it look so painterly?”. I was really impressed by what everyone else could do on that digital box of wonder and since then I’ve been striving to get that good.


Subject matter I like to create work about:
The subject I have been most interested in recently has been my cartoon, Foo Foo. I’ve been experimenting with developing him and his Nephew Stevie and their interactions with the world and each other over the summer. Outside of that, I would love to be able to do some more work based around sports. Sports logos were the first thing to spark my interest in art. I


Subject matter I like to read about:
I love dystopia novels. I’m also a huge music geek, so I equally love biographies of my favorite artists. I also like a humor books by my favorite comedians based on a satirical view of the way we live. I have also recently been delving into some graphic novels that deal with interesting twists on the kid adventure theme.


The kind of music I like:
When it comes to music, I’m a lot more all over the place that most people think. However, my four favorites would have to be, in no particular order: Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. The main reason, after the fact that their songs are flat-out amazing, is that they represent this “cool factor” for me. They can dress, act, and talk in a way I won’t ever be able to. As far as trying to just name genres I’d have to go with classic rock (60’s-80’s), singer/songwriters, and I have a big soft spot in my heart for ballads of all genres. Where my guitar driven rock lets me just sort of unleash adrenaline, my softer stuff allows me to kind of escape reality and pretty much enter a meditative state. But as I said I am all over the place, so a few bands from my odds n’ ends would include the Commodores, They Might Be Giants, Lou Reed, the Gin Blossoms, Roy Orbison, Hall & Oates, and the Spin Doctors.


Non-art related hobbies/interests/skills:
I am an avid songwriter and I play the guitar and piano. I also enjoy hiking, biking, and swimming. My big interest is obviously sports, particularly football, baseball, hockey, and college basketball. I mean, I can tell you what ESPN stands for goodness sake. I’m also big into bowling, with my highest game ever being a 284 this April.


Something I Like that Nobody Else Likes:
I’m probably the only heterosexual male on the planet that thinks Extreme’s “More than Words” is absolutely beautiful, but as a more serious answer I would have to say broccoli. I think that stuff is great.


If I had the run of the world’s museums, the three original works of art I would like to own are:
1. The Raft of the Medusa by Theodore Gericault
2. Untitled (1969) brass boxes by Donald Judd
3. Any original Pogo strip (by Walt Kelly, of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment